Question

Dtkoop

Question about collections and how to resolve
Hi CK! Just joined the site and it really seems that this is a great place to work towards my credit score goal! I have a question about collections. I have one open account in collections in yhe ammount of $148, and I was wondering what the best way to go about resolving that would be? I'm in the "clean up" phase as I just pulled all 3 credit reports and this one has me stumped. Should I just pay it off and carry a small cc balance or what would you suggest? Thanks!!

Most Helpful Response

Collections issue

You have an account in collections showing on your report but don't know where it came from?  File a dispute with the recording credit bureau.  They'll have to investigate it and report back to you.  DO NOT PAY!!   It is likely a mistake, which credit bureaus do make at times.

Also, pay off your credit cards when the statement comes in so you do not have the additional interest expense.  Do not carry a balance unless you have just had an extraordinary expense you can't pay at once.  Then pay the balance as fast as you can.

Unfortunately I do know where's it came from....it's a charge from charter for the DVD box I completely forgot to return when I moved to Rochester  :/ .  I can't afford to just pay it outright but im wondering if I'm able to negotiate the collections agency to delete the report would that be worth it to carry a small balance on my cc?  I always pay my Cc's off in full every month, so I'm just wondering which is the lesser of two evils?  

jwsister

Try contacting Charter directly and let them know that it was an error due to the move that you did not return the box and see if they will give you an address to send it to.  Then ask them if they will take back the collection from the agency after they receive the box.  Then you can send it to them, possibly only paying for the shipping.  Worth a try, especially to avoid the cost of purchasing the box.  And don't take "NO " as the final answer from the first person you talk to.  Ask to talk to their supervisor, who may be more empowered to make such arrangements.

If all else fails, then you may have to do the credit card bit, but try negotiating and getting them to understand it was "human error."  If any of them have ever moved (YUCKI!!--  I did 16 times in 17 years), they'll understand.