Question

queenieb22

Possible to have too good of a credit history?
I was additional card holder on ex-fiancee's AMEX. Monthly credit limit was $50K, nearly maxed-out every month, yet always paid on-time and in-full. Card has since been cancelled, however obviously remains on my credit history as an account in good standing. Aside from wanting no association with my ex whatsoever, would requesting this account be removed from my credit history have a +/- impact on my credit score? (Currently an "Excellent" 774) Also, I'm now in Grad School, and will likely need a private student loan. Will having what appears to be a great credit history hinder my chances for receiving aid? (Basically, if you took one glance at my credit report, you'd think I could pay my entire tuition in one month.) I previously had good credit, and a history of accounts in good standing... just none with a credit limit close to $50K. Thanks for your advice!!!

Most Helpful Response

Leave it

You cannot remove it, but since it is closed, no need to worry about it. It stays on there as good credit history anyway. Do you currently have your own credit card? If not, you may think about one, sometime after you get your grad loan. You want to keep a hold of different types of credit for good credit history. Just keep it going with no hiccups like late payments, ever.

queenieb22

Thank for your advice!  And, yes, I currently have my own credit card.  I opened it ~2 months ago - figured some cash back for my school payments would help!  :)