Question

hug2pugs

Point increase once bankruptcy is removed from my report?
I have worked hard to build and keep my credit as clean as it can possibly be since my bankruptcy in 2005. It seems to have plateued between 700 and 705 for the last year. I was wondering if, once the bankruptcy is removed in 2015, if I can expect a substantial increase in my score, as long as I keep my good credit habits that I have now? I keep very low balances (most of the time I pay off balances each month) and pay on time. I have been very responsible with credit since my bankruptcy almost 9 years ago. I hope it will put me in the upper 700's once the bankruptcy is off my record. Thanks for any advice.

Credit Score Improved Overnight.

My credit score rose approximately 100 points after my bankruptcy was removed nearly 18 months ago.  With that said, I rebuilt my credit with no other derogatory comments, few inquiries, decent credit age, and low income to debt ration.  My current credit score is about 820 now, but was about 660 during the fall of 2015 before the bankruptcy was removed.

Mine Improved

If it helps anyone, mine increased when my bankruptcy fell off. I don't know why so many have had it drop and because of this thread, I was terrified my already low score would go even lower. Instead, my score jumped about 60 points. Hope this helps someone! I think it just depends on what other accounts you have on your credit report and what standing they are in. 

My score dropped as well

I was also looking forward to my score increasing after my BK dropped off...to my unpleasant surprise it dropped 47-49 points! the only thing I can think of is that it reduced the age of my credit but this doesn't make sense being that the accounts on the BK closed once it was discharged 10 years ago...everything else is good...im at about 19% od my overall credit card usage...payments are 100% on time..this doesn't seem to make sense...clarification anyone?

Mine went up

I just got the bankruptcy off my record.  It took 10 years and establishing a good credit history.  My score went up 65 points and it is now in the 770 range.  Also, I just purchased a car with no interest.  I noticed that after I purchased the car my score dropped by 7 points but after the bankruptcy was removed it jumped by 65 points.  Make sure you get your full credit report to ensure if the bankruptcy was taken off.  It takes 10 years to have it removed.  

KatTen10

Does it take 10 years from the date of being opened or 10 years from the date of being discharged??

BK off Credit Lowered my score

When my CH 13 BK came off my credit, my score dropped 50 points. It is because my age of credit dropped drastically. All of my good credit was newer and all of the older credit came off with the CH 13 BK removal.

Mine Dropped

My score dropped 38 points after the bankruptcy came off. Credit scoring is a joke.

This is DISTURBING.

The last two posters say that their credit scores went DOWN once the bankruptcy was off their records?  How is that possible and how incredibly disheartening!!!!!

jmw248

My bankruptcy comes off in October of this year and my scorce is a 754. I just got a personal loan today from my bank at 9.9% and after the inquiry it only dropped y score to a 742. My score for the past year has been in the 700's. I have had no lates or missed payments since my bankruptcy. I honestly don't know how these scores work but my brothers bk came of last month and his scores went up.

scot1759

The reason your credit score may go down after your chapter7/13 is removed.

1-While under chapt7/13 creditors can count that you can not file again and they are a little more secure

2-Not enough established credit while in the 10 year chapter relief

3-Too high credit balances after the chapter has expired. "note" any credit cards with balances higher than 30% of limit starts to drag your score down regardless what tier your credit is at.

Likely it will!!

As you know, bankruptcy is a negative on your credit reports.  Your current history of on-time payments and keeping credit card usage in a good range should help boost your score significantly when the bankruptcy notice drops off.  Just keep up the good work!!

2 Years BK

Question,

I am being told once your BK hits 2 years, you would see a slight credit increasment... Is that true?

scot1759

In most cases yes I was actually able to get a brand new car 6 months after i filed the first time. At 21% interest but hey i needed a car. The 2nd time i was able to buy a new home after 26 months. The difference was my credit was well established the 2nd time and my score was much higher at time of discharge. I can say this site was the closest in the actual scoring than any of the paid sites i used. This is how I built my credit after discharge. Got a car and 2 high interest credit cards. I maxed 1 of the cards out and paid min payments on it for 22 months the other i left vertually untouched. At 22 months I knew i was wanting a home. So knowing you have to keep your oldest acct open with a balance i paid it down to 30% use. My score went from 590 to a 643. I only needed a 640 to get the home loan. So everything has to do with planning and on time payment getting your score back up dont worry so much about maintaining a particular score until you need that score to get what you want. Life it too short to worry about a number all the time. Plan out your 5 year goals in credit and dont stray when it comes time to implement.

Any Specific Anecdotes?

I know that not everyone will be treated the same with the same amount once the bankruptcy is removed.  But if anyone could post their before and after scores, with any info that seems relevant, that would very helpful in getting a general idea of how much of an increase people can expect.

demohr

My public record was removed in Nov 2013. score before = 698 score after = 604. there were no other changes and 100% on time payments for 10 years...good luck!

rc39073

665 before; 648 after - no other changes on my credit report other than the bankruptcy dropping off

ispy1009

Experian one day before Chapter 13 removed 754 on June 30. July 1, the day it was removed, 834. Has not yet been removed from the other 2. Supposed to be removed in August. Not sure why it came off early from Experian but I'm thrilled. My TU and EQ scores are currently 744 and 714. Hope to see similar rise when those come off.