Question

iceskater1611

opening a new card and closing another
Will it hurt my credit or look bad if I close one card and open another one that offers things like points or airline miles? The card i want to close gives me nothing and is not my longest active credit card.

I advise taking the time to read the articles on this site so you can learn how credit works.  You will find that answer and even more ezxtremely helpful information in the articles.  I know, because I took the time and am glad I did.

Get the new card first, then close the other one if you wish, but be aware, your scores will be dinged in the process of all of this, nothing major and it is completely normal. Remember to watch your FICO scores. Be sure to read all about how closing accounts can hurt your credit before you proceed, but as said, get the new card FIRST, then cancel the other if that is what you decide to do.