Question

JoeMcDePaw

Opening a 0% card
I am looking to make a significant purchase for approximately $10,000. I have approximately $6,000 in funds available for this purchase and I am considering opening another credit card to finance the remaining $4,000 of the purchase a paying it off over the next ~12 months.

I currently have:
- ~$140,000 mortgage balance
- ~2 credit cards and 2 additional store credit cards (which I utilized for 0% financing)
- ~$10,000 in student loans (I have one more semester of grad school)

Would opening another card with a 12-18 month 0% financing offer be okay for my credit? Also, should I close the card after I've paid it off? I am certain I have or will have the financial resources available to pay this over that time.

Another credit card should not hurt your credit too much, lowering the "average age of accounts" and the "hard inquiry" will cause a temporary dip as well as the amount you utilize on the card, but there shouldn't be any huge issues as long as you can get a high enough credit line to cover what you need. If it were me, I would not be worried about it.