Question

random4543

Old Comcast Account Debt sent to Collections
I closed an account with Comcast and unknown to me at the time I still owed 90 dollars on the account. I learned this when I was called by a collections company. I told them I did not believe I owed the money. I spoke with Comcast and reduced the amount I owed to 45 dollars and paid it off to Comcast. What is my next step to remove the collection from my record? Do I dispute the 90 dollars it states I owe with the collection agency? Do i only have to notify the agency? What should be my next step I am a little lost.

Did you ask Comcast to have the collection removed from your credit reports? That would be a good place to start. Be very polite with them as they are not obligated to remove the account from your credit reports, they are only obligated to update the collections account to paid/settled/closed. If Comcast is unwilling to cooperate maybe ask to speak with a supervisor with their company or call again to get a different rep. After several attempts if this does not work, then you could dispute the account with the credit bureaus for it showing an open balance when it is not. You may avoid all of the above by going directly to the bureaus showing this information and disputing it with the reason "that you don't owe it" and rather than the collection company attempting to verify a debt that you've already paid, maybe they would just delete it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also understand that paying a collection is not grounds to have it removed. Paid or not, a collection account can report on your credit report for 7 years from the time that you missed the first payment that lead to the collection account.