Question

cmptrgydv

not activating credit card
ok so I applied for a credit card and got approved for a $300 limit,
it has a $75 annual fee, and after looking up bad reports on credit company, I have decided I don't want it, so I got the card two weeks ago, but I have not activated it, I looked at their FAQs and it sais if you do not activate the card with in 14 days the account is just closed, but I was talking to a friend about it and they said I may still have to pay the $75 fee weather I activate the card or not, does anybody know how this would work,

From Bankrate.com  at http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/declining-new-credit-card.aspx#slide=4

"Some issuers charge fees to open an account and bill those to the card. Before you close the card, those fees have to be paid or waived.

"I would say talk to your creditor," says Danielle ***re Arlowe, senior vice president with the American Financial Services Association, especially if you've truly not used the card. "They may not hold you responsible."

Even if you are responsible, the issuer might forfeit the fees if you're declining the card and have never used or activated it.

Even if a fee is labeled "nonrefundable," if you've never used the card, ask for the fee to be dropped. And get verification of that action in writing.

If you happen to receive a balance statement (or two) in the interim, confirm that the balance reads zero, says Arlowe. "Make the request, and then double-check it on the back end.""

Hi, thanks for the reply

well my account on their website says balence 0

and I did look at the paper work that come with the card about how to activate, and it states (if you do not activate within 14 days the account will be closed)

it's a credit one credit card, I have been reading some serius horror stories about this card,