Question

beardedmonkey

No collections agency contact info listed on Equifax report
It appears I have something in collections on my Equifax report -- and only my Equifax report. It's medical, there's no contact information for the collections agency listed, and no one has been in touch with me. I have a vague recollection of paying something off years ago, but that's it. The Equifax report also only lists part of my account number with this agency; the rest is just Xs. Advice? It's only $120 and I can pay this right now!

1. Pull your complete TransUnion credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com, the collector's name & address should be on there.  2.  If this account is almost 7 years old, paying it without a "pay-per-delete" agreement in writing will "re-age" the account and it will show up for 7 years from date it is paid.  If it remains unpaid, it falls off your report 7 years from date it went delinquent.  Don't re-age by mistake.  3. Google the collection company's name (if you have it and/or can't pull your full report).  Once you get their address, send a letter to them and cc all three credit bureaus requesting that they provide proof that this debt is yours, and the date of delinquency (which will tell you when the 7 year clock starts if unpaid).  Hope this helps!

Thank you!  Question:  I've already had my report pulled a few times recently, and plan to seek preapproval for a mortgage soon.  Will pulling my TransUnion put another mark on my score?