Question

tomrob

Negative mark from original debtor fell off after 7.5 years - but agency shows 2 more years?
I had a delinquent credit card debt originally with my credit card holder. 2 years after my missed payment, it was sold to a collection agency. Fast forward 7.5 years and the original negative mark fell off. That was 5 months ago. The collection agency is reporting a start date 2 years after the original default. It hasn't fallen off and seems it won't for another 2 years.

From what I've read the clock cannot be reset by selling the debt - it stays with the original date and is supposed to fall off at the same time. What I cannot find is what to do now that it hasn't happened?

How do I remove the listing with the original debt, as the collection agency is reporting a 2 year difference?

The date is not from the original debt

Sorry to the bearer of bad news but... 

The collection agencys date will be from the date they assumed the collection, Not from the original date of the debt.  The Collection agencies can try and collect the debt for 7 years from the "Date of last Contact" as well, so if you contact a collection agency that will also reset the clock. So the date it will fall off your report can be much later than the original date. 

When dealing with a collection agency, it is always best to try and negotiate a "Pay for removal", thats Where you ask, and they agree, to remove the derogitory remark from your report when you pay off the debt. 

Good Luck