Question

BlueLion3

My credit score dropped by 70+ points. How can I find out why?
I've reviewed the Credit Factors section of CK and I don't see anything to explain this HUGE drop. No new card or loan applications in over a year so you can imagine my surprise. No recent hard inquiries either. The one thing I suspect could be responsible for this is a disputed transaction.

I was incorrectly charged twice for a transaction (a full month apart) so I called up the CC company. Eventually the merchant claimed it was a system error and it was reversed. Now I have a 'remark' on my credit report stating: "Account information disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements". Everything I've read on CK tells me that remarks aren't a huge factor in your credit score.

I've pulled my credit report from one of the bureaus and nothing jumps out except the remark I'm seeing here on CK. How can I figure out the root cause for the dropped points? Am I going down the wrong path with the assumption that the disputed transaction is responsible? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The remark on your credit report won't have anything to do with a CC reversal or dispute. It is put there when you've previously disputed something about the account with the credit reporting agency (EQ, TU, EXP). So expressly, it means that you contacted the CRA and filed a dispute stating that something about the account was incorrect (late payment info, incorrect balance, etc).  The CRA investigated the dispute and found that the item remained unchanged.

During the CC dispute against a merchant, did you miss a payment/go over 30 days late?