Question

CBalla9

My credit rating dropped because I finished paying off my student loans?
Basically what the question says. The most I can gather is that since these loans are now closed, my average account age went down (don't know why, the loans were younger than my bank account where my single credit card is located...) so I lost 90 points with Transunion and 60 with the other.

Is this why, or is something else up?

Most Helpful Response

that is a big drop.  yes you would have lost some points because when you paid off your loan you lost the "credit mix" which is 10% of your score.  But you do not loose the age of the accounts.  If they were good accounts and it sounds like they were.  They will stay on your account for 10 years.

I would take a look at your credit report and make sure that there is nothing on there that is new and pulling your score down, like a late or missed payment.  Anything derogatory.