Question

KDre12

Multiple Collections w/One Agency
Situation: I have several medical bills that sound up in collections...36 seperate bills to be exact. But, they are all being collected by the same collections company. Currently they are all showing as separate Derogatory Marks on my credit report. However, the hospital and collection agency just agreed to roll all 36 accounts into just 1 account that I'll have in collections with them.

Question: Since I'll now have 1 account in collections, replacing the 36 currently showing on my report, will this information get updated on my credit report since those 36 accounts really no longer exist as separate accounts? And if they don't go away on their own, do I have a legitimate reason to open a dispute to make them go away so that only the 1 is showing?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Most Helpful Response

The status of the accounts will likely show "sold or transferred" at the bottom of each entry, but the Fair Credit Reporting Act (a federal regulation) requires that all credit accounts be reported for up to 7 years, so that is likely what will happen.  Since they are medical bills and many people do not have insurance but do have medical bills, many potential creditors do not put much weight on these debts.

This is a good question. They will definitely go away on their own within the statute of limitations (likely 7 years). What will likely happen is that the accounts will no longer be actively in collections, so you'll have 1 instead of 36, but they will likely remain on your report as accounts that weren't paid as agreed upon. You will not be able to successfully dispute these accounts, sorry.

KDre12

Turns out I was able to successfully dispute the accounts, with the collection agency themselves. They rolled all my accounts into 1 and the other 35 have been closed/don't exist. Notfications were put through to the credit bureau and should reflect on my report in the next 30-60 days. Just goes to show...don't take no for an answer when dealing with collection agencies and billing companies!