Question

aadvance

More than 50% util on one card...good or bad?
I just got a card that offers 0% APR for 18mos, which I got in order to transfer balances. Problem though is that this new card has a CL of $6k, but I wanted to transfer ~$3500 to it. Would me going over 50% util on this new card be looked at as bad on my report?

Most Helpful Response

Individually it makes no difference. Utilization is based on the total of your debt and the total of your credit limits. Transferring the balances will not change the total balance but the total credit limits have probably increased by the credit limit of the new card. That is a good thing. That means your utilization has decreased.

takeshi74

Individual utilization does matter.  At 50% it's probably not a big deal but even if one has overall utilization of 20% if one card is maxed out it will be a problem.