Question

nothappy23

Mom ruined my credit behind my back ...
So I found out that my mom got 4 credit cards in my name and that there are late payment s and money still owed on the credit cards. When I found out that she was doing this, I immedietely made her cancel one of the cards right in front of me and supposedly she canceled the others, but there is still owed balances left on the cards that she has yet to pay. What should I do , and how can I stop this from happening ever again... I don't see how she was able to open credit cards in my name with different banks in the first place, please help ! My credit is ruined because of her and I am getting married next year !

Mom needs to stop being a user

If what you say is true, Mom did a criminal thing.  She would have had to forge an application in your name, and that is fraud.  Obviously, Mom probably had enough personal information about you such as your SS number to apply for a card in your name.   

That said, there is probably no way you can clean this up without taking a black eye on your credit reports.  Even if she or you wrote the credit card companies involved and she and you both attest to what Mom did, the credit card companies will still think there was collusion.

You need a lawyer, but now that you know what she did, you need to write the credit card companies and close the accounts so she can't do any more harm, but you also need to freeze your credit so no applications will be approved without verifiable identity.  This will hurt your credit under these circumstances, but you have no choice.

You could also take Mom to small claims court and get a judgement against her.  That would add some weight to your claim of fraudulent credit application.