Question

terrycwu

Medical bill went into collection - HELP!
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just recently found out that I have an account in collection on my Equifax report due to un unpaid medical bill from 05/2012.
This is what happened.

May 2012 I had a bad cold and went to the emergency at Cayuga Medical Center in Ithaca, NY. I was under Cornell's school insurance program (SHIP) and filled out my school address, as well as my Canadian address. I did not pay for anything on the day, and don't remember if they told me I would be billed (or whether insurance covers everything).

I never received a bill (possibly due to moving out of the school dorm a month after I visited the hospital), but received a mail sent to my Canadian address in 01/2013 for $30. I paid off the $30 to the "Medical Center" on 1/30/2013, and thought that would be the end of it.

Today, I found out about the collection and called the hospital. The lady on the phone told me that my bill was still not paid, and that I was billed for the emergency care and physicians (not the facility). She said I most likely paid off the bill to the hospital facility, but never paid off (possibly?) another bill that was for the physicians/emergency unit, which ended up in collection. Currently the collection is under UCB Collection and have been there since 09/2012. The reporting date for the collection is 01/2013.

I am lost and have no idea what I should do at this point. Is there a way for me to still remove the collection record from the report? Should I pay the $30 that I supposedly "didn't pay"? Or should I dispute the transaction with Equifax?

Any help would be appreciated.