Question

zmh1025

Maxed credit cards being paid off....
2 of my credit cards are maxed, I've had them for years and make regular payments (over minimum and on time) just made stupid decisions for emergencies a long time ago and was never able to catch back up. I now have the money to pay them both off entirely. My utilization has been so high for so long that it has damaged my score severely. Would paying them off entirely at once, hurt or help my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

Utilization has no memories, your scores will improve as you pay the balances down/off, assumes that account still open.

Pay your Credit Card balance off in full every month.   Build an Emergency fund so you never go thru this again,   do you have a Monthly Budget?  

You can expect a nice boost to scores once you get them paid off, just don't close them though as that would cause damage.