Question

Posted in Taxes

Zackdude

Maryland tax lein
I have a tax Leon on my credit that is the result of H&R block not attaching a copy of my Delaware return to my Maryland return. I had to file returns in both States because I lived in MD but worked in de. Now I have a 1700 tax Leon on my credit report. Maryland has corrected their mistake but how do I get the lien off my credit report. One huge issue is I have a valid Maryland and federal lien from another year that don't report and I don't want them to start reporting. Since tax liens aren't reported but are public records I am scared that when they go to see that my other lien is not valid they will in turn see my two valid tax liens.

Most Helpful Response

Have you contacted H&R Block?

If the tax preparer screwed up, they can be quite liable for any money owed by you. Contact them first and foremost. Also contact the state authorities and point out the tax preparer name and # that should be at the bottom of your tax return, and start working on payments with them. 
--

The reason you want to start working on payments is to prevent negative reports from piling up on your reports, while you work on having H&R Block pay them for the error, and to pay you for what you've paid into it thus far. 

Zackdude

Thanks, that was my first route. Funny thing is the hr block customer service representative told me they don't keep records going back that far and I would have to take care of it myself. Obviously I didn't take that wasn't a satisfactory answer. So I went up the chain. They had a lady from the local office contact me. I also contacted Delaware who sent me a copy of my return. I'm taking that to the hr block tomorrow. So they can fix their error. It's pretty pitiful that this even happened. I just hope they fix what is clearly their error. Although it stinks that by getting this tax lien removed from my credit I may in turn cause the two others to appear. Who knows. Baby steps I guess

That is tax lien not tax Leon. Sorry

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  If you contact

all three credit reporting bureaus and dispute it then it's possible the others will show up. You can also type in a search engine; how to remove a state lien. IRS and state liens are handled differently, and procedures vary state to state.

Be aware many of the employees at those tax offices are temporary employees and don't really know what they're doing. You need to find an experienced tax person with years of experience. 

You should not be having multiple liens. You have serious budgetary mismanagement and income issues you need to address.

Zackdude

Well thanks for the advice. Although the budgetary and mismanagement could be the farthest from the truth. My credit scores FICO and advantage are all 690 to 720. I was out of work, four back and neck surgeries in five years. I lost my company but somehow managed to save my credit. Before you make passive agressive comments you may want to ask. Your opinions are just false