Question

Posted in Banking

twilightwisperer

Loan company will not accept divorce decree as proof that I am no longer liable.
Our house was collateral for a loan. Hubby got the house and all bill/loans associated with the house granted to him in our divorce. Loan company said that we are both responsible divorce or not. How do I get it off my credit, when loan company won't recognize the decree signed by the judge?

Loan company will not accept divorce...

Divorce does not releive you of debt if your name was on the loan, as either a signer or a co-signer. I had a similiar situation in which I hold a Shell credit card that had both mine and my ex's name on. About a year after we divorced, the ex was filing for bankruptcy and told me that the Shell card was going to be added to the bankruptcy. I was very upset by that, so I called Shell and explained the situation to them and they removed the ex from the account. In your situation, your ex would have to refinance the loan in his/her name so that you are no longer responsible. Hope that helps!