Question

coinneachfitzpatrick

Live in one state, judgment filed in another
I bought a truck in Colorado and moved to Arizona two years later, providing the loan company with my AZ address. A year later, they repo'ed the truck and sued me for the balance; fair enough, except that they sued me in a Colorado court, not Arizona. It's been brought to my attention that this is not cool and I should have called the lender out when they filed. That was 6.5 years ago, with the default judgment entered Feb 2009. I received a compromise offer from the collection agency in the summer of 2011 but was unable to follow through on it. There has been no collection activity since. Should I contact the agency about the legal issues (suit filed in the wrong state), or just let it go and bring it up if they sell and reage the account before next February?

Since this happened so long ago, the statute of limitations for you to do anything about it has probably expired, but you can check the state laws for both states and see if you are still able to pursue anything or if it has been too long.