Question

mnmswolf

length unpaid amount can be owed
I found out I owe 2 companies some money from about 5 or more years ago. Can they still collect. I paid them off but they said I still owe and I don't have the reciets anymore

One, Google search "Statute of Limitations for collections" since that varies by state.  Find out what it is for your state for the type of account.  If the SOL has expired, they cannot even attempt to collect. Second, if it is getting very close to the expiration of the SOL, as a hedge, write the collectors a letter demanding validation of the debt.  You don't have to still have the receipts but they HAVE to provide proper documentation that you owe the debt and they know what it is, too.  Send these letters "Certified, Return Receipt Requested" and keep copies of all communications regarding this debt. 

For fun and information, check out the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (which does apply in this situation).