Question

Anastasiabarney

Is utilizing 30% or less of a credit limit a once a month/billing cycle good practice?
I just got a credit card to help build my credit. My limit is $300. I spent less then 30% of my credit limit and once the bill was posted I paid it off the next day. My question is: once I've paid my balance down to zero, am I okay to use less then 30% of my limit again in the same billing cycle/month? Or is the recommendation to only use 30% of the credit limit once a month, regardless if I've paid it off and still have weeks remaining in my billing period/month?

Most Helpful Response

You can find out when the credit card compaines report what your balances are - simply call and ask. I have the dates when all my credit cards report my balances.

Timing is not really the issue because you have no idea when the credit card company reports to the credit bureaus, so you don't know if they will be reporting a balance or zero balance.  Always keep your utilization below 30% for best score results.

Anastasiabarney

So if my credit limit is $300 and I spend $90, pay $50 the day after the bill is posted, once my $50 is credited to my account I can spend another $50 again in the same period? Because the utilization is never above 30% at one time because I make multiple payments during the month?