Question

gramzilla8

Is there any advice for a duped parent? took out the student loan in my name.. any remidy?
I took out a student loan, assuming my child was the primary on the account. I was naive. I am the account holder and she dropped out and is now refusing to pay the bill. Aside from taking her to court.... any ideas? I am now in forbearance. Please help.

duped parent

Your financial obligation is identical whether you are the primary or the secondary on the note.  So, that would do nothing to change your current situation.  If the primary isn't paying, then the secondary is JUST as obligated to make the payment.  That is why a creditor will seek a secondary if the primary isn't capable of repaying the loan.

Ultimatly, the only solution here would be for the your child to assume financial responsibility and refinance the note in their name alone which doesn't sound like it will happen and thus you are stuck.  Sorry to bear the bad news there.  I see this all the time on mortgages where a divorced couple get's the home in the divorce and then promptly stops paying or pays late and trashes their ex's credit out of spite.   Nothing you can do save pay the note yourself.  :-(