Question

CrazyCatLady222

Is there a limit to how many times the same debt can be sent to collections?
I have a few medical bills that were NOT my responsibility to pay that have been sent from one collection agency to another for about 6 years now. Every time they sell the account it goes back on my report! The bill is there because the doctor's office had the standard 6 months to file for compensation and they didn't do it. They didn't file for over 10 months so of course the insurance refused to pay. When the insurance refused it, they tried to make me pay for it. I paid my co-pay before I was even seen. This is not my responsibility, THEY dropped the ball, and I'm sick of telling them I'm not gonna pay it only to have them sell it off to someone else ad have them try to collect AGAIN! Each time I get hit again for another delinquency.

Most Helpful Response

They can continue to sell/transfer the debt forever, but it can only be placed on your credit reports for seven years, so your time is about up. Also do some reading on "early exclusion" as you can sometimes get negatives removed a little prior to the seven year mark. If you have documentation or proof of the wrongdoing done to you, you may want to contact a consumer law attorney for a consultation to see if there is anything that you can do.