Question

Shanty52

Is it crazy to extremely focus on Credit Scores?
The other day my son said, as I was showing him my credit score, he said "Why are you so worried about your credit score, you pay cash for most things" I said it is just important to me to work the system to keep them in the 800s. Is it weird to be such a fanatic over one's credit scores? Look at me asking a community of people who are here monitoring their information LOL Thank you

Most Helpful Response

Interestingly enough I had a similar conversation recently with a friend of mine.  He just turned 80 and asked me why I care what my credit score is.  His argument was - never buying another house, probably never buying another expensive car, no more education expenses since kids are grown, and medi-care provides adequate health insurance against catastrophic illness.  He has a good point.  All I could say was, "it makes me feel better..."

I don't know how old your son is, but it might be a good opportunity to make sure he understands the benefits of taking one's credit score seriously.

One can become obsessed with anything in life.  Look at the people who collect things, some for their enjoyment and some for resale to gain more money. Your son's response does raise a question.  How does your credit score look?  If you have some active credit accounts (credit cards or loans) then youi should be developing a good credit score.  Paying cash is not bad but what if you need a new car?  How about buying a house?  Those are things that most people generally are unable to save up to pay cash for, so having a proven good credit history as shown by a very good credit score, allows the opportunity to purchase these "big ticket" items withoiut having to pay the high interest rates that those without a good history end up paying.