Question

justranting

Improving bad payment history
I made a payment in February 2012.
My husband had passed away, I sold my house and moved in March
I did not receive any notices even though I had put an address change in with post office.
In April I got a refund check for the amount paid.
Seems the store had changed finance companies and, unaware, I sent payment to the old one.
When I got the returned check, I sent payment to new address. The store forgave me the late fees and interest. Credit bureaus had already been notified so the late payment stands today.
It is the only “ding” on my otherwise perfect record - but because of that, I have a 97.3% payment history which is poor. Is there any way to improve this?

Contact the store/creditor and ask them to remove the late payment from your history. Do some research on "goodwill letters to creditors". Instead of writing a letter you could also go in person if it is close by and explain your situation and ask for the removal. A phone call may work to. If the person you asks refuses to do it, go to someone higher on the chain in the company and keep going higher and keep asking until they grant your request.