Question

lucillemcphatter

Improve credit score
How can I improve my credit score in the shortest amount of time?

I do suggest reading the articles presented on this site because they are very helpful.  I was trained in accounting and did not learn then what I have learned through this site.  Very informative.

One thing you need to do is begin an annual habit of checking your credit reports for errors, since errors are bound do happen.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on al wrong information with the credit bureau reporting it.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed information.

Sometimes things on your credit reports that are of a negative nature (late payments, charge-offs, collections, etc) will adversely affect your credit score for a maximum of 7 years (10 in case of bankruptcy) and those generally cannot be removed.  But you can offset the effects of the negatives by not letting them happen again and showing a pattern of reliable  payments on credit accounts.  More positives begin outweighing the negatives.