Question

Kikivilleda1111

I'm thinking of adding an authorized user to my account
The person I'm thinking of adding on has no credit. The person has been applying to credit cards to try and build credit but kept getting denied. Would all of their credit inquiries affect my credit score and add on to the inquires I already have??

Most Helpful Response

No. Only that particular account's history and future activities will be shared, not the entire credit profiles. Just be aware going in that, authorized user generally don't have legal obligations to repay on that account.

Their credit will NOT affect yours. You should be fine to do this, just DO NOT give them a card. I would advise them to get a SECURED credit card that is reported to all three credit bureaus. Capital One or OpenSky, may be places for them to look. Just don't get any joint cards with them. To really help them, I would agree to put them on as an authorized user if and only if they can pass a test on credit questions. I would make them study this stuff so they understand it. Then give them a quiz to test their knowledge, if they cannot pass it then they truly do not care about their credit and are unwilling to do what is necessary to improve it. If they fail, give them a chance to study more and retake the test later. This would benefit them so much more than simply adding them as a user, the knowledge gained can be carried with them the rest of their life.

Rules and laws have changed on this issue from years ago.  I don't believe you can just add anyone. They need to be a relative, fiance(e), and someone living at the same address as you.