Question

cgeissler52

If all of the collections I have are hospital bills, will paying them off improve my score?
The only accounts in collections that I have are all medical. I have always been told that "they cant hold medical bills against you". I am quickly seeing this isn't true, so I am trying to improve my credit score. Will paying off my hospital bills improve my score?

Most Helpful Response

A debt unpaid is a debt unpaid. Of course they can hold medical bills against you! However, most medical practices will not send your account into collections if they're recieving something every month. That means you could send them $5/month and you wouldn't go into collections. The good news is that with medical bills, in my experience, once you pay the past due amount the collections agency will remove it from your report. None of mine have every appeared anywhere but the "accounts in collections" section of my report.  So you could see a quick improvement by fixing these problems. Just make sure you're paying at least the the minimums on all of your bills every month.

cgeissler52

Thank you, this is good advice.