Question

nellsie

If a debt collector asks for my SSN#, should I give it to them?
I am being harassed by a debt collector, but I cannot get past the automated voice to speak to a live person until I give them the last 4 digits of my SSN#. I am not comfortable with this.

Most Helpful Response

It is standard practice to provide the last 4 digits of your social security number so the person you are talking to so they can verify it is your account.  I work for a mortage company and we do this all the time.  When folks call in about their account, we have to have some way of verifying they are the person on the loan, and this is the best way.  

With that being said, please visit the FTC.gov to see if this collector is violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices.  You can submit an on-line complaint.  The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is another good source of info and a place to submit on-line complaints against collectors.

nellsie

Thank you Addison. That was very helpful.