Question

ttd1945

Identity theft. How do I remove something not mine
I have a credit card on my credit report that I never opened. The card holder is aware of my dilema but will not speak to me now because I am a third party and they consider it to not be my account any longer but refuse to remove it from my report and continue to try to collect. They know the address and phone number combination are both information I have possed at one time or another but never at the same time. I really don't know how to get this fixed.

Get all 3 credit reports

Okay, it sounds as if you contacted the credit card company by phone in an attempt to resolve this issue.  Wrong move!!!  Not going to work.

Go to freeannualreport.com and get all 3 credit reports.  Go over them carefully and file disputes on erroneous itemsd with each credit bureau that is reporting same.  You'll find instructions on filinf effective disputes to the left  of this page under Resources.  Scroll down through Articles until you find the one on Disputes and follow the instructions.

FYI--NEVER carry your Social Security card with you.  Put it in a small safe at home. It's one thing you only need rarely, but that number is a gold mine to a thief!

Hope this helps.