Question

idonut

I want to rent/buy a house in 6 months or less
I have a 597 credit score i have $150 past due to jc penny credit cards but I want to dispute it since they never had my right address/phone number. Never contacted me. I contacted them and they said I was good on payments though I wasn't and now it's charged off. The purchase was originally $20 and now it's $150 and messing up my credit really bad. I want to rent/buy a house or apartment within the next 6 months is there anything I can do to help raise my credit?

question... when was this jc penny accnt charged off (what month/year)? is that the only derogatory mark on your report? how are you on financial habits? do you pay on time in full?? are you credit worthy?  if you believe you are credit worthy and your income to debt ratio is good then you shouldn't have any problems in aquiring an apartment rental, but if your looking into buying a home or even a condo in an apartment complex then your scores have some what little impact on the determination of a home/mortgage loan then you have to take in consideration of your habits in financial obligations and priorities and  as well as your income. the underwriter who views your credit report are the ones who communicate with the banks to let them know your credit worthiness. be very careful in running multiple applications for loans because those run hard inquiries on your score and let alone the underwriter who sees those hard inquiries will take that as an act of desperation in obtaining a loan and make them more iffy in loaning to you.