Question

Amandamarie073

I need help raising my credit score, I have already tried Lexington Law and they were no help
I would really like to raise my credit score and be able to get a credit card with out a really high interest rate. I have already tried working with Lexington Law and they were no help. I don't know what else to do.

Most Helpful Response

Not many credit repair companies can do something you cannot do for yourself. Contact each of your creditors and first ask for interest rate decreases. Use the argument that the interest rate from them and other creditors is preventing you from paying more than the minimums each month. If you want you can request a payoff for less than the full amount, but be aware that if you do make a deal it will likely show on your credit report as a debt settled for less than amount owed.

Then follow the standard plan:

• Pay your accounts on time each month. Utilize automatic payments from your bank account and know when the payments will be made. Make a spreadsheet showing all your debts and dates the automatic payments will be made. Be sure you have the money when that date rolls around.
  • Reduce your credit utilization to less than 20% of your total credit limits. You must pay more than the minimum payment amount on your statement for this to be effective. Minimum payments will cause you to mostly pay them interest for the priviledge of owing them money.
  • Do not cancel a credit card. If it has a zero balance use it occasionally for small purchases that you can pay off right away. Otherwise the company will cancel it for non use.
  • Do not apply for unnecessary credit. Every inquiry will at least temporarily lower your credit score.
  • Ask for credit limit increases as you build good payment history with your creditors, but don't use it. It will help your score.

Time will improve your credit rating if you follow this advice.