Question

deepbluenugget

I need a credit card
I had a 706 and after applying for 3 cards and being denied it has gone to a 669. I need a card but I don't want to damage my score anymore. Credit Karma is recommending Capitol One saying I have "very good approval odds" but I have already been denied by them, maybe not for the same card but I don't know if that matters. How do I get a credit card?

Re: Need credit card

What is the reason for denial?  Do you have a short credit history?

Credit Karma only looks at your score to determine approval odds, but lenders look at more than a score. 

If you have too little credit history, you should apply for a secured credit card. This is guaranteed approval because you have to secure the card with money in a savings account. For example, you put $500 into a savings account and the bank gives you a $500 credit card. It gets reported to the credit bureau as a regular credit card and after a few months of paying on time you can apply for an unsecured card. 

deepbluenugget

CK says my history is for 8yrs. 5mths., I don't remember off the top of my head what the reasons for denial are, but after posting my question I applied fo ra Capitol One card that has a $39 annual fee adn was approved. I don't know what the limit is yet but I think it was like 24% variable. I just thought with a score like 669 I could have done better but this is a start I guess. Thanks for the input.