Question

lionelSF

I have my credit reports but still a "thin file", how long does it takes to get a credit score?
Hello,

I arrived in the US around 1.5 years ago. My SSN is quite "new". My girlfriend arrived 2 years ago and opened 2 credit cards. She has an excellent score (~800, 25k$ credit limit, no debts) and put me as authorized user on the two cards about 6 months ago.

The two cards appears on my credit report with the whole history (1.5years for one, 1 year for the other one), but credit karma still tells me that I have a "thin file".

Is that normal ? Should I just continue waiting ?

As the credit cards are appearing on the credit reports, I assume that it is taken into consideration and should build my credit score ?

Thanks for your help !

Just to specify : my girlfriend can see her credit score on Credit Karma, with basically the exact same credit history (as we just have these two credit cards). 

Capital One 'Newcomers' Card

Capitlal One is a huge credit card agency. This card is especially for people who are new to the U.S. who need to establish credit.  If you haven't seen this card, this may help you:

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/cash-rewards-for-newcomers/?Log=1&EventType=Link&ComponentType=T&LOB=MTS%3A%3ALCTMMQC4S&PageName=Credit+Cards+Browse&PortletLocation=4%3B4-12-col%3B2-1&ComponentName=browseTable&ContentElement=47%3BCash+Rewards+for+Newcomers&TargetLob=MTS%3A%3ALCTMMQC4S&TargetPageName=Newcomers+Card+Details&referer=www.capitalone.com

Search for the above title on Google if you that link did not work.

Authorized User Status

As an Authorized User on your girlfriend's card you are not responsible for the debt incurred on the card. In other words, should your girlfriend default, the CC company cannot come after you for the money. For this reason, the AU cards on your report will do little to help you build a credit file. You can do one of two things. You can obtain a secure credit card, meaning you pay the CC issuer say $500 for a $500 credit limit, and then use that card for purchases, paying in full each month to build a credit history over time. The other option if you need to make a credit purchase is to build a non-traditional credit history with a company such as eCredable.com using monthly bills for which you are responsible to build a credit report that you can provide a lender. This type of credit report relies on regular bill payments that are not reported to the bureaus such as rent or utilities. Either way, in order to build a credit report and score, you must have accounts that are in your name, on which you are making regular and timely payments.