Question

Robbieco

I have an activation offer on old GM MasterCard (opened in 1992).
I ran a simulation and there was no change in my score... but also there was no way (that I could find/figure) to show this is NOT a new account, just an activation of an OLD CARD...
I have an excellent credit score now but it was higher before I deleted old accounts (years ago)... I didn't know better
Is there any way to determine if activating this card will further increase my score? If there is a way to check how do I do it?
Thank you
Robin (Robbieco)

Most Helpful Response

CK's score simulator is a broken tool. Even if it allowed you to simulate a re-activation you wouldn't be able to count on its results.

In your shoes, I would call the vendor's 800 number and ask if the account would show with its original 1992 date (fantastic!) or would show as new. While nobody can predict exactly what it would do to your score (and so much depends on what's already in your record re age and status of accounts), having that 1992 date back would be bound to help you in the medium-weight category of age of tradelines.

OTOH, if they would treat this as a new account or if the rep doesn't know, I'd try to talk with a supervisor or even somebody in their exec offices to ensure that the old account gets re-established.

Robbieco

Thank you!

Robin (Robbieco)