Question

ozziesironman

I have a utility debt for 559 that has been in collections for a year. Should I pay it?
It was originally with Cox Cable. I got service for my ex girlfriend and I, but we split. She was supposed to have been paying it, but I didn't find out until later that she hadn't paid. I never once got a call from Cox about this debt, so I didn't know it was even in collections until I checked my report this year, and it had been in collections for a year. with Progressive Financial Services. Should I pay it off, or just deal with it and let it rot?

Do some thorough reading on "pay for delete agreements". You want to get accounts like this removed from your reports rather than just marked as paid.

ozziesironman

I looked up the pay for delete agreement... and learned that not a lot of places do it anymore because the credit bureaus got irritated and started putting the smackdown on companies that did these agreements. I did learn that the higher the debt is, the more willing the company is to remove it from the credit report.

I want this removed, not just put as paid. but with it only being a year old.... i dont want it on my credit for the next 6 years.

Is Progressive Financial Services fairly easy to work with? anyone have experience with them?