Question

Orange9496

I have a $500 collection to Verizon that is listed as charge off, should I dispute or too late?
And if I dispute it and it gets removed will it increase my credit score? Also, it is from 2011 so I don't want to restart my 7 year removal period if it isn't removed. What should I do?

You can only dispute WRONG information.  If this is your account, you still owe the amount remaining on the bill.  Charge-off means the company has taken a tax deduction as a bad debt, but still does not remove your obligation to pay this debt.

What makes you think that you can simply eliminate bad marks on your credit by a dispute? It doesn't work that way. Legally you might be off the hook for this debt, you will have to look up the "statute of limitations" in your state to be sued for this debt. There may be a possibility of getting it removed with a "pay for delete agreement". Otherwise it should be falling off in a year or so, you can also sometimes get accounts removed a few months early by "early exclusion". Also, the credit reporting time period cannot be restarted, the "statute of limitations" can be in certain cases, usually by entering a payment plan on bad debt.