Question

credhelp

i dropped credit utilization over 30% but didnt affect score
I brought my credit utilization down into the excellent range but had no effect whatsoever on my credit score how can this be any insight will be greatly appreciated thanks. i would think would affect my score a little atleast

Most Helpful Response

9% is best

When looking at your credit utilization, most experts agree, that you will want the balance to be at, or less than, 9% for optimum position. 

As for your credit score itself, no one can see the actual report, so we can’t tell you exactly why it didn’t improve that much, other than to tell you that your credit score is based on positive factors versus negative factors; and some factors count more heavily than others. Meaning there is likely other information (likely weighing more heavily than the credit utilization portion) still on your credit report that is negatively impacting your overall score.  As an example; if I have a loan in default for $10,000, and I work to improve my credit utilization percentage down to 9% without paying off the defaulted loan, my score may change a little, but not nearly as much as it would if I completely remove the defaulted loan instead (regardless of how it is removed, so long as it no longer reports an open balance).

Thank you. I know 9% or lower is excellent utilization, I had like 38% to high i know when it went from 46% to that i gained a few points. I now have dropped to show 0% when reported i used 7% but paid off right before it reported i guess but that is a 38% drop in credit utilization you would think would change score by a few measly points. Sorry for long post I know you couldnt give exact specifics without seeing everything, it just seems odd to have no impact whatsoever, also now i am afraid if i use any that my score  will drop now that it has shown really low util. Thank you so much for taking time to explain some of that to me i am still fairly new just try to read as much info on here as i can.