Question

DavidSt17

How will a medical debt affect my credit score
I am 23 years old, have no late payments, and I have a credit score of 747 (according to Equifax on Credit Karma). However, when I was 21, I incurred a $3000 medical bill. My parents and I tried to fight it, because I was uninsured at that time and the hospital had assured them that they would give us financial assistance. Unfortunately they ended up selling the debt to a collector. The collector made one attempt to contact me 18 months ago, and said they would be sending me some information in the mail, which they never did. I didn't hear from them after that until today when they called me again. As of right now it doesn't look like any of this has shown up on my credit scores. My question is, how will this affect my scores if I, 1.) didn't pay it, or 2.) settled with the collector for a lesser amount, keeping in mind that I have no other negative marks on my credit.

If they placed a collection on your reports this would hurt your credit Big-Time. If you can avoid this happening, I suggest that you do. You can try to negotiate with them now, but be prepared to pay immediately upon an agreement made. It may be tough though to get them to settle for less as they have the leverage here as they have the power to place it on your credit reports. Whether you get them to settle for a lesser amount or have to pay the full amount, make sure that they agree to not place it on your reports in exchange for your payment. And just an FYI, not having insurance is not reason to be exempt from getting billed for medical care.

DavidSt17

Why hasn't it been placed on my report already? Do they try to collect first before putting it on your report?