Question

Bohemianspark

How to raise my score if my problem isn't credit card debt?
Most of my bad credit hits are medical and a cel phone bill. I never bought into the credit cards way back when and that in its self hurt me because I couldn't get credit when I was ready for it. I've had a car loan which was my first 12 plus years ago. A few late payments but then paid it off early. The early pay off didn't seem to help me at all. My credit score always goes between 523 and 551 which is where it is now. I did get a car loan 3 yrs ago and that was repossessed. The interest was too high and life problems created that problem. I read that if the finance company didn't send you a letter informing you of auction of the vehicle, you weren't responsible for the amount owed. Something about giving you the opportunity to buy the car at auction and settle the debt? I'm not disputing my neglect in the matter but wondering if I can dispute that? Also, how do I raise my credit limit if I'm unable to abstain credit cards and/or loans? I opened a fingerhut account 3 months ago with a $230 limit. Charged $80 on it and have paid it off. That's what brought my score up from 523 to 551. Most posts I read are people who have credit card debt that's harmed them. Should I pay the medical bills off slowly and keep the fingerhut account to build my score? Should I get a secured card as well?

Correction to my post

Obtain NOT abstain. The other thing I'd like to add is, because I have occasionally applied for credit, I have hard inquiries as well. So I have stopped until my score is sufficient. It's getting it there that's the problem. Any advise is much appreciated. 

Create a budget and stick to it

Plan on spending some money each month to tackle the collections.  Those have to be delt with if you ever want to establish good credit.  

First get copies of your credit report.  File disputes (easy to do on the Credit Bueaurs websites)  on anything in collection. You'd be amazed on what disappears when you do that.  Then deal with what ever is left.  Read up on how to deal with collections agencies in the blogs and articles. lots of info there.  

once you've paid off those debts, then you can start taking steps on rebuilding your credit.