Question

tbudke82

how to make my credit better
I have two student loans and a motorcycle loan that i pay on every month and have not missed a single payment. I have even quadrupled my minimum payment on one of my student loans to pay it off faster. however i do not have any credit cards and have only had these loans and been paying on them for almost three years now. is there anything that i can do to make my credit score go up besides continuing to pay on time?

Most Helpful Response

Since the sole purpose of Credit Karma is to TEACH people how credit works and what they must do to get credit to work for them, I would suggest reading the articles (look to the left side of this page) and utilize the credit tools, such as credit simulator to get practice in how certain decisions may affect your credit score.  I learned accounting but not that much about using credit so this site has been a big help!!

Those student loans are going to be a bit of a pain until they are paid in full because businesses know the loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and remain collectable until paid even if it means taking your Social Security benefits.  So they may be a bit leary of granting credit unless your debt to oincome ration is at an acceptable level.  You can start by getting a secured credit card, utilizing no more than 20% of the available credit limit, paying what is shown on the statement as "total amount due" in full when the bill comes in and your credit score will begin its growth.  Takes time and patience, and learning to achieve that. Start now.