Question

fireandrain12345

How to get a credit card?
My credit score is 723 but I only have 1 account (with 3 1/2 years of perfect payments) as about 10 years I had bad experiences with credit and closed all my accounts. I only have on negative on my credit and it comes off in August but when I try to prequalify for a credit card I don't qualify for any. I'm only looking for a limit of about $500.00 just to rent cars. Any suggestions on a card to apply for?

Ok....here's what you need to do. 

I'm guessing the score is from here.  That is a vantage score, not a FICO score.  Most card companies use the FICO 08 version.

Next...here, you likely only have access to TransUnion.  That is only one of 3 credit reporting agencies.

If you want another card, I HIGHLY suggest going to the MyFICO site and biting the bullet and buying all 3 reports.  You will get all the info that card companies use to either approve or deny you.  Those reports aren't there forever, so I'd save them as a pdf or print them out.

I'm suprised you're not getting card recommendations here, but, even if you were...don't always go by that.  Truth be told...their 3 recommendations for me are cards I already have.  They are also always cards pushed by their sponsors.

Go to google & type in credit pulls database.  When you get to the page, only type in the card you want.  Leave out your state, which reporting agency, etc.

For example, just type in AMEX or Discover, or Chase or whatever.  You will see who got what card, with what FICO score, what limit they got, etc.  Do this after you get your fico scores from the first site I mentioned.

Don't waste hard inquiries on cards you may not be able to get.  Apply for the card you'll be accepted for, not necessarily the card you want.  You may get lucky & the one you want will also be the one you're likely to be approved for.

fireandrain12345

Thank you. That helps quite a bit. About 10 years ago I purchased a new construction hosue and was assigned the wrong house number which caused all my bills to go to the wrong address, then my credit card company applied my payment to someone else's account and then the wrong house number pushed the tax status of my house from owner to rental and I saw my mortgage go up by $500 a month to cover the differences in tax status. I was so frustrated I cancled all my debts after I paid them off.In retrospect I'm seeing it was not the best move.