Question

CDurant08

how much will my credit score be effected by closing my high interest credit card?
I am in the process of buying a home and have been pre approved. The high balance and the high interest rate also cause my payment to be high. Ive never been late on this card but felt the payment was too high for me to handle with other bills. So when i called to see if the int rate could be lowered, they sd yes, but they would have to close it. I just want to know by how much (in points) will this effect my credit score?

It is too hard to say exactly how much you would be affected.  There two areas to be aware of, total utilization and age of credit.  If you close this account your age of credit may decrease.  How old is this card compared to others you may have?  What is your total available credit now and how would be lowered if you close the account?  Overall the affect shouldn't be real high but I would consider the points outlined here and then reassess.