Question

erniemink

How many points will my credit score increase once I pay off a collection account?
I have only one collection account showing on my credit report for 658 dollars. I am playing it off and then will dispute to have it removed from TransUnion and Experian, the only 2 reports it shows up on. My score is currently 645. i want to get it up to over 660. How many points will be raised on my credit score do you think paying that debt off and having it reported from the credit reports? Will it go from 645 to 665, in the good range?

Who told you that you can remove paid collections by simply disputing them? That info isn't good. Sometimes and only sometimes that can happen, but the majority of the time, the dispute will be denied and it will remain on your credit reports. Do some reading about "pay for delete agreements" as that would be the ultimate goal, if you cannot get one after several attempts, then you can go your route, but definitely do not count on that working. Also read on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) to make sure that the debt collector isn't violating it in any way, if they are, that could be your ticket out. Of course scores will increase by eliminating a collection account, especially if you only have one collection on your reports. Concerning credit scores, don't worry about the ones you get here, worry about FICO scores as most lenders use a version of them.