Question

1bzman

How long til Collections status change?
Last week I paid off of an account that I had gone to collections. I paid the amount due to the original owner of the account, and they said that the collections agency would be notified and the issue would be closed. The account status with the collections agency still shows open and with balance due. How long should I wait for this status to change, or should it have changed already?

Surprising that the original debtor accepted the payment as most have an agreement with the debt collector to let them negotiate out a deal. With that being said, I think you should have negotiated with the collection agency to remove the reporting in lieu of full payment. I have had two collections, both medical, handled this way with great success.

You may want to contact the original creditor and ask them have the debt collector remove their reporting as they do not want to pursue the debt any longer.

I would never count on anyone to report something positive to a collections agency. I had to deal with them a couple of times and after paying them directly , I make sure to get everything in writing stating that I paid it all off and request that collection to be deleted from my file.