Question

Katerz85

How long should you have established credit before applying for FHA loan?
My husband and I would like to buy our first home, as we finally have saved up about 10k to use as a down payment. Would like to buy a house around 80-90k. I've had credit for about 8 years, the score is around 650. My husband has only had credit for the last 6 months, 2 lines of credit, 15% credit usage and his score is around same as mine. However, I am disabled and receiving disability so I am not able to work but still have income from the disability. My husband works full time and makes about 20k a year. Since this is our first home, I am not sure if we would be able to get the FHA loan since he has only had credit for 6 months. Do they normally not loan until X amount of months/years of established credit? Anyone have any knowledge on how this works? I've tried researching but I'm getting no where, any info would be great! Thanks!

Katerz85, each lender will be different on this issue. I work with some lenders that want a borrower to have 3 accounts open and active for at least 12 months, others don't care.  Since you are receiving disability income, assuming that it will continue for 3 years, then the easiest thing would be for both of you to go on the loan.  Most lenders should not have an issue with credit depth with both of you on there.  Hope that helps.  If you are in Ohio, I'd be more than happy to assist.  You can click on my username to get my contact info.  Good  luck, and congrats on making the decision to be a homeowner.