Question

Kadie1993

How long does it take to build good enough credit to start a mortgage for the first time?
Hello,
I am 21, I have had a credit score for almost a year now. It started off as fair, then went down to poor (580) due to a contract cancellation with AT&T. I live with my boyfriend of 4 years and father of my two children, a three year old and a 2 month old. He doesn't have a credit score, but we just started financing a new vehicle.
How long will it take for us to have a good enough credit score for a mortgage on a $58,000 mobile home?

The length of time depends on what you do. If you are in a hurry to get your score growing, get three credit cards and one installment loan (which you are covered there with the auto loan). You can get secured credit cards, your boyfriend will have to start with them too. There are always subprime cards as well, but they are costly. Educate yourself thorougly on the subject of credit, try to spend a little time each day reading on the net about how to build credit. Just make sure when applying for cards that they are cards you have a chance of getting, make sure they report to all three bureaus, make sure your auto loan reports to all three bureaus, if it doesn't get a small secured installment loan that reports to all three bureaus. Make sure you use the credit in the best way possible to help your profile. Do a ton of reading, way too much to explain. Any more specific questions, please feel free to ask and I will try to help.