Question

IL5

How long does closed accounts stay on report?
I have several accounts that has been closed for several years, but they are still on report.

Most Helpful Response

Try writing to the credit reporting agencies first and reference the "Fair Credit Reporting Act" (FCRA) and the "Consumer Financial Protection Bureau" (CFPB).These Gov. Agencies will fine $$$$ the credit reporting agencies if they hurt you financially by not doing their required task of updating your credit report accordingly. I've had items removed before 7 years just by writing them a letter in a professional manner, clear and concise, to the point but stern and not insulting or condescending. send the letters cert.mail ret. receipt and sit back and watch the magic happen. They must respond within 30 days by law (not 30 business days) and if they cannot verify any information that your disputing they must delete the item(s) from your credit report never to be seen again. Make sure you provide as much info regarding the item as possible acct#'s name of bank or creditor, copy of your photo id and copy of a recent bill to prove you are who you say you are and contact phone numbers, if the creditor doesnt respond your score will go up. Don't hire a credit repair specialist all they do is drag it out so you can pay them for what you can do yourself, Good Luck!!!

If your account was closed in good standing, there is no law requiring it to be removed from your credit report. It could stay on your credit report indefinitely and may help your score.

If the account was closed and had been delinquent then it should drop off in 7 years.

Ngutierrez25

This month marks 7 years on an account that has been closed. How do i make sure it does in fact drop off my credit report? Thanks in advance

7 year drop off

Ok I had some really hard times back in 2002 and again in 2008.  These are past 7 year mark.  How do I get them off my report?

I have been helped a lot by doing the things I have learned here on Credit Karma. Four years ago my score was 570 and now is 790. I found out Trans Union had an open account last week and I called them to ask why. It wasn't on my other reports and I wanted to get it off there. After speaking to them they said they would check into it and I learned it was taken off. I know now that you have to watch what is being reported so you can take action. I know the only way to get things fixed are to do it yourself and the advise I get here let's me know how. Thanks Credit Karma

Closed Account after Bankruptcy

Can I have closed accounts removed that were filed under bankruptcy?  I'm asking this as I see a few still on my report, and others are not.

Credit cards

I want to pay off and close out credit cards account will this hurt my credit score?

FICOGrowth

Paying off the balances is always a good idea, but closing the credit accounts could present a problem. For one,it might signal distress to a future lender. The immediate impact could crush your score, but you have eliminated any good utilization rates. Sometimes paying them down and keeping them open is a good thing. Sometimes its not. Be careful.

debt aaccount

How llong after your charges have been paid off does it take for your record to reflect this information.  If it has been over 90 days can you contact credit bureau

Old Credit Cards from 20 years ago!

Honestly, I have old credit cards showing on my report from 20 years ago.  I wouldn't care but my report under "Total Accounts" says "poor".  I only use 2 credit cards now out of the 10 that are showing on Equifax (only 6 are showing on TransUnion by the way).  How can this be fixed?  It doesn't seem right for these closed accounts to be bringing my score down when they were closed in good standing and are THAT old.

cracqal

Accounts that are closed in good standing can remain on your report indefinitely and do not usualy have a negative impact on your credit score.   The "poor' rating on your Total Accounts may actually be due to having too few accounts or a poor account mix in your history.    

Lenders like to see a diverse account mix in your credit history.   You indicated that your Total Accounts includes some credit cards, but does it also includes Mortages, Auto Loans, Student Loans, Personal Loans, etc?  The more account types you have held and paid off, the better, as long as they are paid or paying in good standing.

I have the same issue.

Credit Karma

Credit Karma sucks! Your score changes drastically every 7 days. How can that be accurate? It seems to run very low compared to my credit card fico scores. Don't even trust the scores they are feeding you. Every week it changes by a zillion points. Really!

AprilRivers412

This is true. I paid off my student loans and then my score dropped by 100 points. My financial advisor said it should have raised because the accounts were closed and in good standing. On my actual report, it HAD raised substantially.

jrozycki

A zillion points?  That's a lot.  I've used CK for about 5 years and it hasn't fluxuated much unless something caused it to.  It seems there's a lot of variables in place that may cause this.  My CK score has always been very close when I opened an account at a credit union and applied for a car.