Question

IL5

How long does closed accounts stay on report?
I have several accounts that has been closed for several years, but they are still on report.

Try writing to the credit reporting agencies first and reference the "Fair Credit Reporting Act" (FCRA) and the "Consumer Financial Protection Bureau" (CFPB).These Gov. Agencies will fine $$$$ the credit reporting agencies if they hurt you financially by not doing their required task of updating your credit report accordingly. I've had items removed before 7 years just by writing them a letter in a professional manner, clear and concise, to the point but stern and not insulting or condescending. send the letters cert.mail ret. receipt and sit back and watch the magic happen. They must respond within 30 days by law (not 30 business days) and if they cannot verify any information that your disputing they must delete the item(s) from your credit report never to be seen again. Make sure you provide as much info regarding the item as possible acct#'s name of bank or creditor, copy of your photo id and copy of a recent bill to prove you are who you say you are and contact phone numbers, if the creditor doesnt respond your score will go up. Don't hire a credit repair specialist all they do is drag it out so you can pay them for what you can do yourself, Good Luck!!!

tim834

Do you have a format for the letter to get these marks off your credit report?

jloes

I was thinking of applying for a bankruptcy form because i have no other options, I’m on a fixed income and cannot afford new things like auto loan, mortgage loan. My insurance premiums increased and the interest rate has hindered me from getting some benefits and securing a job I wish. I came across a comment of a man on a blog giving kudos to EXCELLENT REPAIRS for job well done in clearing off his debts and fixing his bad credit report. I took a risk by hiring him to fix my credit. I’m happy to tell you that my credit was fixed within 5-6 days by this exceptional credit expert. I was impressed by his work and that’s the reason I’m recommending him as well. You can reach him at yatesnovakovic @ g m a i l . c o m 

Shesler92

If i have like 14,000$ in collections for medical bills but I know I will never be able to get these paid what options do I have? They have been in collections since July 8th 2016.

Rmillier

Lexington Law is a huge rip-off scam. They tell you that they will fix your credit, they make very big promises to get you to sign their contract. You pay the monthly payments and getting nothing in return. I used them for over a year and 8 months and my credit scores actually went down. We had a very sick child and had a lot of medical collections and because they inquired about those to try and dispute them it basically quote refreshed the debt thus making our scores lower. We were young and dumb back then. I recommend yatesnovakovic @ g m a i l . c  o m. He is a genius, get through with him today and you will be glad you did. He saved us from Financial ruins and bankruptcy...He deleted all the hard inquiries, BK on our credit report and then proceeded to improving our credit score to the early 800's  

I have been helped a lot by doing the things I have learned here on Credit Karma. Four years ago my score was 570 and now is 790. I found out Trans Union had an open account last week and I called them to ask why. It wasn't on my other reports and I wanted to get it off there. After speaking to them they said they would check into it and I learned it was taken off. I know now that you have to watch what is being reported so you can take action. I know the only way to get things fixed are to do it yourself and the advise I get here let's me know how. Thanks Credit Karma

Draft Letter

Is t here a form letter or a draft that I can copy to request creditors to remove or fix an account that is in error?

If your account was closed in good standing, there is no law requiring it to be removed from your credit report. It could stay on your credit report indefinitely and may help your score.

If the account was closed and had been delinquent then it should drop off in 7 years.

Ngutierrez25

This month marks 7 years on an account that has been closed. How do i make sure it does in fact drop off my credit report? Thanks in advance

Blckwngs05

Does it fall off 7 years after the open date or the closed date? My open date is august 2009 on a deliquent auto loan i was co-signer on, but the closed date is october 2012.

herkbuff

from the equifax blog site,

Charged off accounts: On the other hand, accounts that were not paid as agreed and charged off (meaning the debt became seriously delinquent and the creditor has given up on being paid and has closed the account to future use, although the debt is still owed) will generally remain on your credit report for seven years plus 180 days from the start of the delinquency that led to the charge off.

Account in collections: If you have an account in collections, it will usually remain on your credit report for seven years plus 180 days from the date the account first became past due. The countdown to the account falling off your credit report begins 180 days after the start of the delinquency that led to the collection. Closing the account doesn’t remove it from collections, nor does it remove the collection and payment history from your credit report.

jloes

Rmillier

Does a delinquent auto loan fall off 7 years after the open date or the closed date? My open date is august 2009 on a deliquent auto loan i was co-signer on, but the closed date is october 2012.

h03angel

closed date 

herkbuff

Actually it is 7 years + 180 days,  from the Equifax blog site;

jloes

Closed Account after Bankruptcy

Can I have closed accounts removed that were filed under bankruptcy?  I'm asking this as I see a few still on my report, and others are not.

novipspleeze

Bankruptcies stay on for 10 years from the last days of activity.

Rmillier

How long

I have several accounts that have been paid and closed since 2007 and 2008. How long will they stay on my credit report? How do I get them off?

h03angel

dispute the accounts through credit karma. youo can do 1 at a time. 

csiangel68

My experience has been that if you utilize your yearly free credit reports and complete an online dispute request with each of the three reporting agencies, you will find that you will be able to get most if not all of these items removed yourself quite easily. My husband and I have been working at this for a couple of months to clean up our own credit files and have successfully brought our credit scores up from the low 400's ti above 600. We still have a few more items to get removed but we are almost there so my advice to you is definitely dispute .

DougTheDude

Maybe try the Tranunion, Equifax, and Experian web sites. Click on the right links and maybe you can dispute it and get it taken off. Look in the phone book for credit counsulors in your area and ask questions to them. That's all I can think of for now. If you sit around and do nothing, then nothing just might happen.

jloes

7 year drop off

Ok I had some really hard times back in 2002 and again in 2008.  These are past 7 year mark.  How do I get them off my report?

jloes

Rmillier

Credit cards

I want to pay off and close out credit cards account will this hurt my credit score?

FICOGrowth

Paying off the balances is always a good idea, but closing the credit accounts could present a problem. For one,it might signal distress to a future lender. The immediate impact could crush your score, but you have eliminated any good utilization rates. Sometimes paying them down and keeping them open is a good thing. Sometimes its not. Be careful.

ADUVALL12

Enter Your Replyyes nust keep rhem down to 0 dollars. When you close account your credit score will drop. But will still show up that you had credit but 0 debit owe

jloes

Letter template

Does anyone have a letter template to write to Credit Reporting agencies?  I have a few closed accounts that been on my report for a little over 7 years.

Oneangrydude

The best place for free templates is Google. You can search sample templates in either images and see what's there, customize it to suit your needs.

Or you can search the web, and take examples.

You can just write your own though, all you need is to be clear and concise, have your account numbers, account name, original servicer, etc. Explain what the issue is, and ask them for help.

By law each bureau will forward this to the person who reported it to their system. (Creditor/Collection agency) and let them worry about it.they have 30 to 45 days from the date of reciept (not the date you sent it) to do so.

Sit back, have some lemonade, play with the kiddies, go drinking with friends, whatever and stay available in case they want to call you for more info.

Warning, some template sites want to charge for their templates, but don't do that. Do what most of the credit repairs do, get inspiration from a few sources and build your own. Not all wording has the proper effect. And the top 3 are nothing more than middlemen (excuse the genderfication here). Be sincere and honest. That should be enough.

You can also get their addresses from the websites. Equifax is in Georgia, Experian is in Texas and TransUnion is in Illinois.

LilMissChris

I'm sure you've found something by now but if anyone else is looking...this is directly from the Federal Trade Commission - 

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0384-sample-letter-disputing-errors-your-credit-report

jloes

Rmillier