Question

mppsu2003

How high utilization is too high?
I know that the ideal utilization is between 1 and 10%, and that under 30% is considered good. But does anyone have an actual breakdown of utilization amounts in terms of what lenders think about them? Obviously, 90% util is way too high. But what 60%? What about 50%? I know that the lower the better, but I'm also wondering that if someone is in the "C" range on CK, are they really that much of a credit pariah?

Most Helpful Response

Lower the better is right, but not 0

I would say being in the C range is bad. I didnt realize that the score was reported on the statement date and that I should be paying down my card throughout the month. I am new to credit, though very informed about it, and I have one card with a $500 limit. I dont know what my score started at, but I know that when my balance was reported at 272 (54% utilization), my score dropped 39 points to 659. Then it randomly dropped another 7 for some reason a couple weeks later. Anyways, the next month I paid payments throughout the month, and then the balance was reported at $40 (or 8% utilization) and my credit score jumped 50 points to 702. I was at a C rating with 50% utilization, but now am at an A with 8%, so to sum it all up, I would say being at a C rating does make a difference...50 points difference for me! Hope this helps!