Question

Dj34brown

How do I inquire about something added to collections without stirring up the past?
I had financial problems about five years ago and have been working very hard to rebuild my credit. I have been using credit karma and my credit has been consistently increasing but during the last update I dropped 12 points because something new went into collections. I have no idea what it could be but it says asset acceptance. How do I find out what this is and if its legit? I don't want to investigate and open up a can of worms

Most Helpful Response

Have you received a letter from them?

It sounds as if this has shown on your credit report and you didn't know about it until you got the report.  There are fine words about Asset Acceptance and those are "junk debt buyers."  What they are is a company that purchases bundles of charged-off debts and they try collecting the whole balance due.  Many of these debts are near or even past the statute of limitations for consumer debt collection.

If you have not received a phone call or a written collection notice, dispute this debt with the credit bureaus that show it.  If you have received a written collection notice, send AA a request for verification of debt.  They know what you are supposed to receive when you ask and, if they do not comply, it should be removed.